Health & Social Care
Alder Hey Children’s Hospital Education and Research Centre
A three storey, concrete frame education and research centre for the development of safer and more effective medicines for children and young people. The new centre was built alongside the new hospital ‘Alder Hey in the Park’ and is home to around 100 education, research and clinical staff.
– The development is set over three floors with a two storey glazed atrium as its central focal piece. It features one main CAT 2 laboratory, offices, research rooms and a 105m2 lecture theatre.
– A glass lift looks through the atrium to a landscaped area which provides the Alder Hey patients with outdoor recreational and horticultural space.
– The building features a high specification exposed concrete frame with fully exposed soffits and integrated light fixtures. Sustainability elements include a green roof and photo voltaic panels.
Challenges and project highlights
– During the Value Engineering stage, we created savings of around 10% to the tender value, bringing the project under the client’s budget. This enabled us to incorporate the client’s aspirational items (such as additional office space) into the design.
– The project was constructed under a tight programme on a restricted site. The site was flanked by the hospital’s Accident and Emergency entrance and so consideration was taken to ensure that the route was kept clear at all times.
– The Trust was selected as our company’s ‘charity of choice’ and throughout the project around £20,000 was raised through activities such as a Golf Day, an Open Mic night and general donations. We are committed to raising funds through similar activities in the future.
“Morgan Sindall delivered a fantastic new building which exceeds the expectations of the Users and is an outstanding building within our emerging Children’s Health Park. The relationships between Morgan Sindall and the Trust remained excellent throughout the development, with a very positive team culture to get the job done” Matt Templeton, Alder Hey Children’s NHS Foundation Trust