Health & Social Care
Alder Hey Hospital Outpatients Department
The Alder Hey in the Park Outpatients Department (OPD) makes up part of the new build Alder Hey in the Park construction project. The unique design will be built for purpose to deliver world class treatment for children across the country.
• There were 17 apprentices who worked on the project including sustained and project initiated.
• There were 7 work placements for local students through the construction process. One of these students, Craig has been successful on the main contractor graduate scheme. About his placement, Craig says, ‘‘I now have a future to be excited about in an industry I love.”
• Through the project the City of Liverpool College social learning company managed and delivered all onsite catering providing valuable learning for students and apprentices. They served over 1,000 meals a day and over 70 students were given the opportunity to gain skills that they would not have gained in a class room setting.
• The project team have been committed to supporting Alder Hey Children’s Charity. The team raised £4,400 for the charity with the overall project reaching £27,000 in donations.
• The project provides new facilities for outpatients including a hydrotherapy pool and dental practice. There are also two interactive court yards which provide distractions for children while they await treatment creating a more relaxed environment.
“The job market is a competitive place but partnerships with international firms like Laing O’Rourke and work on landmark schemes like Alder Hey, have given our students both the experience and qualifications they need to improve their employability prospects.”
Elaine Bowker, CEO City of Liverpool College