Heritage & Retail
Refurbishment of the Grade II Listed Market House and the attached Covered Market to enhance the existing facility which can also be used as a performance and function venue.
The works involved the installation of a new external glazed canopy along with reinstatement of original features such as market stalls and shutters, slate roof repairs and new lighting, two new glazed porches, additional furniture storage, fittings and wall tiling repairs to the basement toilets, new awnings, new glazing to the basement windows, minor repairs to tarmac/paving and mechanical ventilation.
- Pre-contract value engineering was provided to meet client’s aspirations and the tight budget. Close cost management throughout the project life cycle helped to absorb extra works.
- Design and Build approach allowed for a close working relationships with a specialist heritage architectural practice and supply chain to bring expert advice and solutions to the client for heritage works.
- Design team meetings, submission of material samples and mock-ups helped to ensure the original vision for the market was achieved.
- Revit software was used to provide 3D visualisation for the client and end users.
- Town centre site location required collaborative approach to traffic management to avoid affecting surrounding businesses.
- Market trading continued for the full duration of the project. Works to trading areas were undertaken out-of-hours.
- Bespoke tables were obtained via a local business making it a first order for the supplier.
- All waste produced was recycled through an approved Waste Management contractor.