Form of Contract
NEC3 Option A
Design & Build
Construction of a new Design and Technology centre sitting in a conservation area adjacent to the existing school.
- Design and Build of a 2 storey extension to house a Design and Technology Centre which also required extensive ICT infrastructure.
- Consultation was undertaken with English Heritage with regards to the look and feel of the building which needed to be ‘uniquely modern’ but sympathetic to the original Victorian School – a listed building.
- Work was carried out in a live school environment, surrounded by a residential area.
- The new centre was constructed using SIP timber panels – a fast track construction method which reduced on-site construction minimising disruption to the school and surrounding area.
- The new Design and Technology centre included; 2 new design and tech classrooms, 3 new IT suites, WCs, staff room and prep room.
- The site team managed to complete the works 3 weeks earlier than the original programme, to fit the budget.
- A high percentage of local labour was employed from the Cumbria area including the site manager who is local to the area.
- H&S talks were delivered to the school including PPE for the children’s dress up area.
- Various competitions were arranged including a poster competition with prizes for the winner, ‘name the bear’ competition and an Easter bonnet competition.