Local Authority Housing
Edge Green Lane
Construction of 14 semi-detached houses of timber frame construction, which reduced the programme, ensuring faster construction.
• The scheme was programmed to be constructed through the winter months and had a tight timescales due to HCA grant funding
• Timber frame construction was chosen as it provided certainty in terms of delivery. Timber frame was better for the build as adverse cold weather slows down the laying of brick and block. This method of construction enabled us to take the brickwork off the critical path.
• 3 work experience placements in bricklaying and civil engineering
• 75% of labour from local postcodes (39 Wigan and Leigh postcodes)
• Clean up of adjacent fly-tipping areas was undertaken to help to improve the local community
• Renovation of the local community centre
• Mock interviews and careers fairs were held at local schools
“This doesn’t look like a standard ‘Council’ scheme and has modern features which we are really proud of.
We benefitted hugely from the pre-construction element of this project as the team worked closely with the architect from an early stage, assessing what was realistic in terms of price and timescales.” Wigan and Leigh Homes