Energy Demonstrator, Thornton Science Park
Design and refurbishment of 3,131m2 existing building shell to
accommodate workshop, lab and office space to ground and first floor areas, including façade and roof upgrades.
• A ground-breaking energy demonstrator; this testing facility with micro-grid renewable energies is a first for this client and the first time a project has been delivered for them through NWCH.
• PowerHouse Energy Group has already entered into a Heads of Terms
agreement with the University, to become the first commercial tenant of the Energy Centre, researching gasification.
• £800k of variations to contract work undertaken yet the project was still
delivered 4 weeks early – a 20% increase in project value.
• Exceeded 50% target with 55% local labour achieved.
• Local spend achieved was 85% within 40 miles.
Training and Employment
• 15 local apprentices were employed on this project.
• 4 education activities, 4 work placements and 3 community activities were undertaken.
• 290 tonnes of waste was removed from site.
• 97.30% of waste was diverted from landfill.
‘We achieved completion 1 month ahead of schedule on what was already an extremely tight timescale. This project was highly challenging yet the team were extremely helpful, professional and highly effective at all times.’ Richard Farrow, Head of Strategy, Performance and Impact, Thornton Science Park, University of Chester