Huntington Primary School
A new build 2 storey, 420 place primary school and 26 place nursery with associated external landscaping works.
Due to an increase in pupil numbers in the area, funding was secured to provide a new primary school and nursery to replace the current 210 place Huntington Primary School situated approximately 1 mile away. The new build will feature:
• Ground floor Key Stage 1 classrooms, nursery and reception area with secure separate play area and external canopy.
• Library space, staff areas, kitchen, hall and studio space, separated by acoustic movable wall to provide flexible space for performance and group activities.
• First floor Key Stage 2 classrooms along with a further library area, staff facilities and an ICT suite.
• Retention of part of an existing sports pitch to be amended for use by the school and a new separate community and adult sports pitch adjacent.
• A formal hard play/games court area, together with informal hard and soft play areas and an entrance plaza area.
The project will benefit stakeholders and the local community through various means including employment opportunities, apprenticeships and training whilst utilising local labour and supply chain where possible. Targets agreed with Cheshire West and Chester Council include the provision of a minimum of 84 apprentice weeks, 3 work experience placements and the creation of at least 3 jobs locally.
Open Doors Event
The site took part in ‘Open Doors’ in March, allowing members of the public to get a glimpse behind the hoardings and find out what goes on at a live construction site. There were visits from a wide variety of people including primary school children and retired governors. Visitors were impressed with the project plans and actions being taken to conserve the environment through the provision of over 100m2 of PV panels on the roof of the new school and the installation of an attenuation pond.
‘Kier understand all the client’s needs, particularly where to support and help provide guidance.’ Gavin Griffith- Project Delivery Manager, Capital Projects Delivery Team-Cheshire West & Chester Council