Lymm Response Hub and Safety Central
The Lymm Response Hub and Safety Central is unique.
The specialist centre brings safety and life skills topics to life through sensory tours, helping people from all walks of life, young and old, to stay safe in their own homes. Learning takes place in a series of purpose-built indoor scenarios designed to be realistic, immersive and interactive, including:
• a life-size three-bedroom house
• a typical Cheshire A-road meandering through an urban and a rural setting
• a courtroom, cyber-safety classroom, shop and police custody suite
• a farm, railway station, urban park, forest, canal-side and open water
• an immersive virtual learning zone
It is also a working station with five bays, staff quarters, yard and fire training tower, as well as an advanced training facility. The project area covers a total of 13,500 sqm.
BIM technology software and tools were used throughout the build process and proved vital in the pre-construction phase. The team shared 3D models – via collaboration portal Conject – almost weekly, enabling the team to spot and rectify design anomalies before the construction phase. This ensured the scheme was completed on time and to budget.
The Prince’s Trust
The project supported the Prince’s Trust Team programme with a site visit for local young people interested in construction careers. They spent time with the site manager discussing the programme, site roles and responsibilities, and how they could strengthen their CVs for future job applications. An employability skills workshop was also delivered at the client’s Warrington station.
Sustainability and localism
• 12 apprentices were supported for a total of 119 weeks.
• The apprentices were tasked with creating one of the scenarios in the immersive, streetscape. They delivered a simulated, but realistic, building site scenario to teach visitors about site safety. This was provided free-of-charge to the client.
‘Early engagement with the supply chain enabled ISG to explore value engineering options to help reduce costs. The client was impressed with all options that had been presented to them and were able to proceed without compromising on the design quality. This extremely complex andunusual building has been delivered on time and to budget very well by ISG.’ Iain Gammack, Project Manager, IKG Consulting