Manchester Enterprise Academy Central
A new build secondary school, currently being developed as part of the Education Basic Needs (EBN) programme. The school will provide 1050 pupil spaces, supporting the growing need for school places in Manchester. This will be the second Manchester Enterprise Academy governed school, the sponsors of the existing award winning school in Wythenshawe.
The project will be constructed using offsite volumetric modular construction and the 7655m2 building will comprise of three storeys along with adjoining sports hall and external sports areas.
Local impact to date
• Members of the team have delivered an CCS ‘Ivor Goodsite’ health and safety presentation with Birchfields Primary school informing pupils of the dangers of construction sites.
• Further education activities are planned with local primary and secondary schools along with 12 work experience placements.
• Members of the team are continuing close liaison and engagement with the local community group ‘West Points Residents Association’ and have attended resident led meetings and walks.
• Members of the team supported a ‘Fantastic Futures’ careers event at the current Manchester Enterprise Academy. A further 3 careers events are currently scheduled to take place.
• Local labour is currently 56% Greater Manchester
• A locally recruited candidate is currently taking part in a three month ‘My Future’ placement on the site. The individual is NEET (Not in Employment or Education) and is being supported through relevant training, accreditation and mentoring by staff in order to prepare him for any future employment opportunities.
“The team have worked closely with the Council and critically the new Academy sponsor. Construction has now commenced with a very tight programme the whole team have worked diligently to maintain the agreed timescales.”
Gillian Ramsbottom, Project Manager, Manchester City Council