New Academic Teaching Block
Design and build of a new 2,534 sqm three storey academic block comprising teaching spaces, 212 space auditorium and communal areas on a live University Campus site.
• During the pre-construction stage, £700k savings were realised through extensively reviewing the design, specification and employers requirements to ensure the project was affordable and within budget.
• Early engagement allowed the Hub’s contractor partner, to increase the scope of its works to include remediation activities (asbestos surveys, asbestos removal and demolition works) thus accelerating delivery of the programme, and securing project completion before the academic year end.
• The contractor, design team and University team worked in partnership to ensure local listed historical features were retained and remained intrinsic to the scheme.
• A flexible and open approach ensured swift response to client changes /
alterations without impacting on the programme. This included redesigning the roof just 5 weeks prior to the steel frame commencing on site.
• The team fully optimised the building services design including data cable runs/reduced ducting from air handling plant bringing significant cost savings which allowed underfloor heating to be introduced at no additional cost.
• 1,186m3 of material was recycled, providing a saving to the client of £42k and reduction in CO2 emissions through reduced traffic movements.
• 131 apprentice weeks attributed to project and 11 work placements.
• Students from the University contributed to the development of the project through a contest which involved designing the interior foyer space. The winning entry was successfully introduced into the project.
• Silver SKA Rating certificate for environment & sustainability features.
‘Great project with strong collaboration and partnership working.’ Paul Mculloch, Head of Capital Development