Libraries & Cultural
The Factory will be a new build, multi-use cultural venue located in Manchester city centre. The 13,300 square metre building’s main components include a large, flexible performance space and a 1,500 seat theatre.
Operated by and home to Manchester International Festival, The Factory will be one of the most flexible cultural buildings in the UK, able to showcase performances and artistic work of a huge ambition and expected to attract up to 850,000 visitors a year.
Early engagement; local benefit:
There was significant early engagement with the client in order to embed local benefit as a core element of the project delivery. During the pre-construction period, a bespoke sustainability plan was developed in partnership with Manchester City Council which outlines social value KPI’s to be delivered throughout the construction programme. Targets are aligned with NWCH KPI metrics and key client priorities for the city, with a headline aspiration of ensuring opportunities for Manchester residents as a first priority.
Elements of the plan include the delivery of:
• A programme of 60 education activities providing insight into the project and industry
• 50 work experience placements
• Construction apprenticeships; 25 of which will be new opportunities
• 60 Community engagement activities including site tours and employee
• Employability support for 50 people, focusing on long term unemployed groups
• A recruitment process to ensure local employment for new opportunities
• Homeless and Age Friendly projects
• Business skills support programmes for local supply chain
• Waste; Striving achieve 3.4 tonnes per 100k spend
• BREEAM; Striving to achieve ‘Very Good’